Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tattered Cloth

I didn't realize it until very recently, this morning actually, how fragile and tattered my heart, soul and spirit had become. I don't really think of myself as a fragile person, but after attending the Temple this morning, and spending a lot of time in the Celestial Room, I was surprised to feel my soul and spirit gingerly, tentatively knitting itself back together. It was then that I realized how fragile I had become.

Over the last several weeks, many things have happened that have been pulling, stretching, tearing, fraying, cutting, thinning, twisting and otherwise wearing away at my heart, soul and spirit. As I began to experience the process of healing, I pictured myself as an old, worn and very fragile piece of cloth in which historians and curators, wearing gloves in temperature, humidity, and light controlled rooms carefully and gently attempt to restore it. Where there is an exciting vision of what it might once again become, but also very cautious of moving too quickly so as to avoid causing the tattered cloth to fall apart completely. Therefore great care, caution and patience must be taken.

As I walked from the Temple, that's how I felt. Surprised at how worn my soul had become, grateful that it had begun a healing, restorative process, but knowing full well there is still much to do before my soul, heart and spirit are fully made whole. So I remain hesitant, cautious, guarded. But optimistic, looking forward to more days spent in the Savior's healing embrace.

1 comment:

  1. You are a very good writer with good analogies. I am sorry that you feel so worn and tattered. I have been there myself, only I wasn't as poetic as you. My analogy was of swiss cheese. I felt that once I was whole cheese, and then I had hole cheese. But where there *was* cheese, I was whole.

    I know this is a goofy analogy, and you are probably laughing (I am!). But the cloth that is still there, is...still there. And I bet there is strength there.

    I like your optimism, too. That you are looking forward to being healed. I hope I can keep your optimism in mind when I need it.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete