Friday, June 17, 2011

Young Love

The other day I was challenged to think back to my first crush. I had two prior to High School, but there wasn't anything significant about them other than me gawking and thinking they were the coolest thing and trying to find reasons to be closer to them. I never really spoke to either of them - just admired from a distance. So those are kind of boring crushes.

My first truly memorable crush I had at age 14-15 when I was just a cute little Freshman in High School. Well, cute is maybe stretching it, and I was generally taller than other girls my age. But I was a Freshman. :)

And my crush was my PE teacher, Kathy Butler. Of course at that age, I had no idea I was so totally crushing on her. I didn't realize that until years later as I read through my journal and found some resounding evidence of a girl totally smitten by someone. I just really liked her. She was funny, kind, supportive, fun to be around. She laughed easily and often. She was cute, too. But that aspect didn't consciously register with me, though I recognized it and felt my draw to her increase because of it.

At the end of my Freshman year, I wrote a couple of poems for her. And according to my journal I did indeed give them to her. I'm grateful that I kept a journal, because I had forgotten all about these. But luckily for you, I wrote them down.

Many long and
Sunny days I've spent with you -
 
Bringing forth many new challenges, never
Unwilling
To give some support. Your
Loving kindness and joy
Ever
Ringing in my heart
=
Learning new skills - having more fun -
Opening new doors - making new friends
Very well
Explains the influence you have over me.

And if that wasn't awesome enough, here's this one:

Beauty and joy, never
Unwanted by one - for
The kindness and
Love that you show
Every day of your life
Rings in my heart, and I will never let it go.

But wait, there's more:

Butterflies glistening in the light
Untouched by the years of existance -
Tomorrow is another day - but my
Love for you will never be
Erased - for once you love a butterfly, that love
Remains forever.

And then to show that my poetic skills are not simply limited to the mushy, I wrote this for her:

Love you Butler,
Love you chum,
You are such a great big scum.
I'm just kidding
You know Kath
I just want to hear you laugh.

Love you Butler,
Love you Kath,
I just want to hear you laugh.

Love you Butler,
Love you chum,
You are such a great big scum.

And there you have the fruits of my first real crush.

5 comments:

  1. Wow :) Sounds like fun. That IS cool that you keep a journal so you could look back at that stuff. I have a few poems I wrote in highschool - but they were just melodramatic drivel (you know, teenage stuff)..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually a little embarrassed to read these again, let alone post them here. What a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you're a dork. I think it's cute.

    I just wish we could have Butler's input here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME. That last just needs some music to set it to. And yes, what became of Ms. Butler?

    ReplyDelete