Saturday, July 23, 2011

Caring for The One

I considered putting this little experience on my nature blog, but as I thought about what happened and the title of this post, I thought it would fit better here.

On my way to work one morning I watched a small flock of White-faced Ibis flying over the lake.


As I watched, I noticed one ibis behind the main flock, flapping with all its might to catch up with the rest. I felt sorry for that bird. It's harder for a solitary bird to fly as fast as a flock, because with a flock, the lead birds provide a draft for the birds behind, making it easier for them to fly. This way, the entire flock can fly faster and more efficiently.


As I watched that lone bird struggling to catch up, three other birds broke off the main flock and fell back enough to allow the lone bird to catch them.


With the support of the other ibis, the lone bird had the added strength and support to catch up with the main flock.

It made my whole day watching that.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting these photos. I love ibis, too!
    Barbara
    www.barbarakrichardson.com

    ReplyDelete