Monday, August 22, 2011

Focus

I haven't given this a lot of thought yet, but here's what's just beginning to surface.

Where I place my focus plays such a huge role in how I feel from day to day. Lately, my focus has been on what I feel I lack, what I feel I will never have or be able to give, what I feel I'm not good at, where I struggle, where I fall short - I'm not social enough, I'm not clever enough, I'm not smart enough to have people really like me and want to spend time with me. So how do you think I've been feeling this last little while? A bit sorry for myself.

I'm not sure why I let myself go there. And then once I'm there, it's really hard to pull myself out of it on my own. The way I've found lately of being able to pull myself out is to take the time to vent about it to someone. To share my insecurities. Maybe to cry. That gets it out of my head and into the open where I can look more clearly at it. As I'm able to do that, I realize where I am and why I'm there, and can make the decision to change that focus.

So my efforts at changing my attitude include focusing on what I can do, what I do have, what I can offer. Seeing myself more clearly as my Heavenly Father does. Remembering that I am a pretty great person. I may not be as outgoing or clever or intellectual as some, but I do have something to offer. I am fun. I am kind. I love the Lord more than anything. I have good friends who all I have to do is reach out to them to be seen and understood.

There's a famous quote from Helen Keller that pretty much sums up what this post is about today:

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." 



4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I don't know why you feel that way because we all like you. Well, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word verification on that last one was renis. Just close enough to be ew.

    ReplyDelete