Monday, September 12, 2011

The Love of God

While reading the Book of Mormon last night, in Mosiah chapter 4, these verses stuck out to me. I've read them many times, and have always liked them. 

 11 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God ... and his goodness and long-suffering towards you ...and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come.

 12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.

 13 And ye will not have a mind to injure one another, but to live peaceably ...

I love what these verses say. The importance of remembering God's goodness and greatness and patience with me, however unworthy I may be. The importance of remaining humble and teachable, and not assuming I know more or know better than He does. Trusting in Him and calling on Him daily. Maintaining my faith in that which is to come.

If I do those things, there are powerful promises and blessings. I will be filled with the love of God, which is powerful and filling and healing and strengthening. I will grow in understanding and the knowledge of the glory of God, and in all that is just and true. I will retain a remission of my sins through the Atonement of Christ.

And then the last verse - how wonderful would it be if none had a mind to injure one another, but to live peaceably. That is the promise to those who truly know God and know themselves and recognize the worth and value of those around them.

I have put these verses to the test in times past; indeed this is the way I try to live my life. And I can testify that these promises are true. When I trust in God, and search Him out, and do my best to live in peace and love with others, when I remember the Lord and seek His will in my life, I am filled with such great and all encompassing love. There is nothing in this world that compares. That's why I continue to follow Him. To be strengthened and upheld and taught by His spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment